Author Topic: [New post] Melaye declares self ‘constitutionally’ free from INEC recall process  (Read 24 times)

Id Rock

• Global Moderator
Senator Dino Melaye has challenged the constitutionality of the Independent National Electoral Commission’s decision to proceed with his recall process because the commission is out of time.

Argument: At a press conference on Monday, Melaye stated that the constitutionally provided timeframe of 90 days to conclude any recall process has expired.

“It is therefore crystal clear that by the provisions of Section 69(b) of the 1999 Constitution, INEC must act on the petition purportedly presented to it on the 23rd of June, 2017,  by conducting the referendum within 90 days of the receipt of the petition. The 90 days period, as provided for in the constitution for conducting the referendum elapsed on the 23rd day of September, 2017,” Melaye said.

The Senator representing Kogi West thereafter declared, “the time, as provided for in the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, having elapsed by effluxion of time, I, Senator Dino Melaye, cannot and shall not under any circumstance, aid and abet INEC to further desecrate and infringe on the provisions of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, which I have sworn to defend.”

According to him, “in view of the lapse of time, I shall no longer be in a haste to take any further step in this matter so as not to be seen to have aided any party, especially INEC, in the continued blatant breach of the provisions of the constitution which I have sworn to uphold.”

Typically, Melaye did not conclude the press conference without celebrating “the obituary of the Made in Taiwan recall exercise, while sympathising with the induced petitioners, who will obviously face charges of forgery and other criminal charges before a court of law very, very soon.”

- The Scoop NG

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2017, SimplePortal